b'furlongs (collections of strips). identified in the award as of Garraby Street HouseIt is exciting to see that the process of enclosureInnholder.The Sledmere Estate land survey of 1816 did not completely obliterate all signs of the fieldshows a black rectangle representing a building on system that preceded it. It is even more exciting thatthe plot. There is little doubt that this was the site of some of the current field boundaries still follow theGarrowby Street Inn which existed prior to Garrowby sinuous reversed-S formation. The accompanyingNew Inn coming into being lower down Garrowby photo which was taken from Garrowby Lane lookingHill where Garrowby Lodge is now. One explanation west illustrates this point. of the shape of the plot is that the Inn fronted Garrowby Street and the narrow strip running east to Field Names west behind it encompassed a stream that used to The old furlongs had names that allowedexist but has now been diverted underground. The identification of strips in documents like deeds andcombination of coaching inn and watering place for wills. The names on the diagram above are derivedhorses makes good sense.from the 1854 OS map although it is thought that theirIn 1772 Richard Hall was awarded the two plots usage predates enclosure and would have referredeither side of what was already his. The one on the to furlongs. An article by Alan Harris 3from 1952up-hill side was referred to as Pool Syke Head. It was illustrates this point: part of the North Cliff rather than the North Field which In Bishop Wilton, William Walgate, a yeoman,suggests that the current lane to Bishop Wilton does left certain property to his son in 1757. Part of thenot run along the former boundary between the two. estate consisted of an oxgang of land. The oxgangThe name of the plot supports the idea that Garrowby lay dispersedly in the - Town fields of Bishop WiltonStreet Inn had access to water.- to wit, In the South Field Two Narrow BothamsA book called Patersons Roads which was and one broad South Olgate. In the West Field Onepublished in 1822 describes the route from London Broad long Dove Flatt, one broad ownam Land nextto Bridlington with Garraby Street Inn identified as a the Quickwood Row and one Short Braygate Land. Instopping place. Garrowby New Inn must have been the North Field One broad Gofurland next the Greens,established soon after this as it is mentioned in the and two low Bowdales and the lowest Broad Braygate1841 census. Land.The diagram, at least, shows the approximate location of the two low Bowdales. The term ownam as in one broad ownam Land is related to Awnham as in Awnhams Beck. As explained in a previous Bulletin it is used for early enclosed land separated from the surrounding open fields.Richard DarleyThe Lord of the Manor, Richard Darley, sold out to Matthew Smith in 1768 but he continued to live in the Manor House by the Church as a tenant 4 . The enclosure award (see diagram) shows that he rented a plot of land from Matthew Smith very close to where he was living.The timing of the sale is interesting as it took place a year before the official commencement of the procedure for enclosure in 1769. As it is unlikely that the two events were unrelated it would be useful to be able to uncover Richard Darleys motivation. Garrowby Street InnThere is an unusually shaped plot of land on the north-east corner of the North Field (see dotted area arrowed on the diagram) that was enclosed prior to 1772 and in the possession of Richard Hall who was 3Alan Harris, M.A., MCMLV, Land and Oxgang in the East Riding of Yorkshire, Yorkshire ArchaeologicalJournal, page 529.4See Andrew Seftons article The Early Lords of Bishop Wilton and their Manor House (Part 1) onp86232 BULLETIN 13'