b'wife Ann age 29. They had two servants, HannahRichard wrote to the solicitors of Mr Smith and after Matthews domestic servant, aged 14 from Huggate,all the question is whether Mr Smith should enjoy and James Moore aged 18, farm servant. From thethe Dovecote by law or curtesy. In reply, the letter photograph of the house taken around 1900 it canfrom Mr Smiths solicitors: The conditions of sale be seen that the house was run down and not wellstipulated that Mr Darley would take leave of the maintained. The house was empty in 1901 and wasMansion House, with the buildings, fish ponds and demolished soon after. The site was cleared and thegarth belonging to it at 10 per annum. At the time area was given by the Sykes family to the churchthe Dovecote was valued in the rental delivered to Mr for use as a burial ground. In 1903 they built a newSmith and then ever since held by Wm. Flint at 4 perimeter wall around the churchyard in substantialper annum. The lease was never meant to include dressed stone and also a store house which was laterthe Dovecote. The Dovecote was obviously worth used as a chapel of rest. fighting about. The Dovecote The Manor House siteWe know there was a hexagonal Dovecote - anThe manor house site is of much earlier origin; the important source of protein for the household. Therefish pond may be the remnant of an old moat system exists a flurry of letters between Richard Darleys- aerial photographs give indications of a northern solicitors and Matthew Smith concerning a disputeditch running east-west which has since been filled over the tenancy agreement of the Cote. In 1771in. This would have given protection from the North, West and South with the church protecting the east. The whole site is elevated from the rest of the village and the boundary is marked on the south and west by an ancient wall which from its method of construction and materials is likely to be the oldest structure in the village apart from the church. The old stone continues as part of the foundations of the houses to the left of the church gates.The front paddock must have always been used for the grazing horses or livestock, and there are hints of the remains of what could have been a pinfold. There is a gap in the south wall which was the front entranceway to the manor, with the pathway shown on the 1892 map. The main entrance was from the north with the remains of a raised roadway continuing into Hutchinsons field towards Garrowby Lane. The The Dovecote after the demolition of the ManorNorth and West boundaries were marked by large House Elm trees which have since been cut down because of Dutch Elm disease. It must have been an impressive abode in the 18th century when the Darleys were living there, the last true Lords of the Manor who lived in the village.BULLETIN 7 95'