b'Bishop WiltonLocal History Bulletin 9 -17 November 2004What I Remember - Part 3Edward WalkerI returned to Bishop Wilton with my wife and two children in 1950, the house at No 16 becoming empty when Mr and Mrs Guy Flint went to live at No 20.The house was in very bad condition, only the front rooms being habitable and a scullery at the back. We all went to live at No 14 while alterations were carried out. The back wall had to be raised about 8 feet, with a new roof and new bedroom floors, new windows and staircase. The stairs were turned round to rise from the front of the house. The building work was done by Tinsons and the woodwork by myself. Water and electricity was installed, and a bathroom and toilet built.Meanwhile I was working for the Army on Pocklington Drome. Rumour had it that the Drome was to reopen, but that proved false. In 1952 while demolishing some old buildings in York for the Army, I fell off a roof and broke my ankle. The result was I was off work for ten months, but worseI lost my job. During the time I was off work, Mr Brook (the School Teacher) and his wife came to live with us.In 1949 before coming to Wilton I started to attend night school to obtain a City and Guilds Certificate for Carpentry and Joinery. This I managed to keep up, attending night school at York three times a week. I bought an old 1934 Austin Seven and passed my driving test in a month (much easier then than now!) I went to night school for a period of eight years,Edward Walker in 2004, while visiting David at No.16summer and winter, obtaining several certificates on the way. These stood me in good stead later in life. While I was off with my broken ankle I travelled to YorkAfter I recovered I had difficulty finding a job, but on the 7.30 a.m. bus, and got a lift back home atI was lucky to meet a friend who required a foreman night, having worked my three nights in one day. Theof trades at Full Sutton Drome. This was the start of a lads at school were wonderful to me. 32-year stint working for the Air Ministry till I retired in Mr Walter Sefton became a great friend of my1981.wife and me, and I made a cabinet for him out of aAbout 1954/5 the cricket team had difficulty finding mahogany table. I believe Mrs Sefton still has it. All thisa field to play in, and Mr Sefton lent one of his fields with one leg in plaster! on Garrowby Lane. Mr Brook and myself made a BULLETIN 9 129'