b'Clothing ClubKate PrattT he first reference to the Clothing Club is in theinterest in the movement and the amount she adds school Log Book, for October 27th 1863: Theto each members credit causes each to be the schoolroom has been used today for the Annualrecipient of a good parcel. The village schoolroom was Clothing Club, so that the children have had aconverted into a shop from 9-5, a brisk trade being holiday. The implication is that the Club has beencarried on. Mr Bramley acts as the local manager and going on for some time, and thereafter there arethe Hon. Secretary of this branch, the largest on the more or less annual references to the event, includingSledmere Estate. A clothing club connected with the the information that it was organised and attendedchurch Sunday School whose members are indebted by Miss Sykes. In this charitable work she wasto Miss King for a substantial amount added to their maintaining the tradition of her mother, Mary-Anneown payments, was also supplied at the same time. Sykes, who was noted for her tireless devotion to(The Miss King referred to in this item was the sister-the welfare of the villagers of the Sledmere Estate,in-law of Rev Eldridge; she also lived at the Vicarage.)which included the establishing of schools.Sir TattonOn June 12th 1883 Sir Tatton Sykes, Bart, visited is usually referred to as our liberal patron in thethe school following a very poor report from the Log Book. Miss Sykes was a frequent visitor to theInspectors saying that not a shilling been spent on school; on January 20th 1864 she visited with the Revschool books and apparatus in the past year, and Eldridge, obviously promoting the Savings Bank, asthe premises show signs of similar neglect. The next she gave William Tutill a gift of one shilling as he hadreport says that the school has been repaired and the most money, and commended Maria Precioussupplied with apparatus.who led for her industry in small savings. Throughout the last decades of the 19th century The references to the Clothing Club continue overthere are frequent references in the school Log Book the years, with mentions of making up the Clubto visits, Christmas Feasts given for the children, book, checking the Club money and so on, andMartinmas tea-parties given for the servants followed on 16th November 1886 the entry reads Schoolby a magic lantern show in the school.The Sykeses was used today by the draper supplying members oftook the necessity for such charitable generosity very the Bishop Wilton branch of the Sledmere Clothingseriously, and it was not just for the childrenfor Club. Luckily, to add colour to these references, aninstance, in March 1895 there is a reference to a Soup article appeared in the Howdenshire Chronicle on 16thCharity at Bishop Wilton. [DDSY/101/98 Hull Univ]. November 1889: As we know from the memories of the Clifford sisters included in Bulletin 12, full school attendance was Clothing Club still being rewarded by gifts of dress lengths or suit Mr Jackson of Malton supplied the goods lengths (or enough for a pinafore or shirt if half a day clothing, linen, blankets etc. Lady Sykes, throughwas missed) up to 1914.whose liberality the club exists, takes the warmest Sheepdogs at West End FarmAndrew HallO n reading the item about the Jebsons large blackbreedings, and ISDS members were encouraged pigs in Bulletin 17, I remembered having seento supply information about working dogs in their the same family listed in Volume 1 of the Internationalpossession. Sheep Dog Societys Stud Book.The listing shows three dogs belonging to James The ISDS (as it is conveniently known for short)Jebson of West End Farm, Bishop Wilton, or more started its stud book of working sheepdogs in 1948,accurately, two bitches and a dog. when the Border Collie was not recognised as a breedFirst comes No 497, Nell, a smooth coated black by the Kennel Club, but there was increasing interestand tan bitch born on November 2nd 1914. Her sire in animal genetics and the desirability of knowing what(father) was Carlo, and her dam (mother) was Floss, strains gave rise to good and bad traits in dogs whichboth belonging to G Paul. would be used for work. The second in date is the third listed, Rover 499, a The first two volumes, published in 1948 and 1949rough coated black and tan dog, born in 1915, sire T were different from subsequent volumes in listing notThirsks Matt and dam J Taskers Jess. only recently born puppies, but also details of earlierFinally, Dutch 498, a smooth coated black and BULLETIN 18 365'