b'meat market). The Suffolk is, as the name implies, not one of East Yorkshires traditional breeds: far more appropriate for this area would have been Mashams or Mules (Leicesters crossed with Swaledales or Scottish Blackface).The other main inn sign in Bishop Wilton was opposite the Fleece. The Cross Keys sign can be seen on one of the old postcards. The origin of that sign is, according to several books, that the keys represent St Peters keys, thus the way into heaven. It is one of the commonest pub names in the UK.If that is straightforward, then the Pig and Whistle is not (thats the name given to the ale house where Kitty Hill is now, on the A166, opposite the turn to Bugthorpe). The Pig and Whistle is a corruption (probably deliberate and intended to be humorous) of two Saxon words: Piggin (meaning a pail or bucket) sheep shown on the current sign is a Suffolk, currentlyand Wassail (an expression used to wish another the UKs most popular terminal sire (i.e. a ram usedperson good health). In earlier times beer was served on ewes of a different type to breed lambs for thein pails into which drinkers dipped their mugs, wishing all those present Wassail. The Opening of the PavilionBased on material supplied by Geoff ScottG eoff Scott, who was Playing Fields Association Secretary from 1961 to 1980, still has a poster heralding the opening of the new Pavilion in 1968. Reproduced here in black and white, the original is red on a yellow background:The land for the playing fields was given to the village by Lord Halifax in 1955 to be held by a series of named trustees. Professional levelling, draining and seeding was completed by 1961. Geoff created drawings for the pavilion and planning permission was obtained in 1963. After producing a contract and inviting tenders he then went on to manage the building of the pavilion by T. D. Embleton at a cost of 2442. Along with 400 borrowed from the National Playing Fields Association, the money was raised by the village. There were yearly Dances and Whist Drives and an Xmas Raffle with big prizes.Hairstyles in Stone - 1 Press Cutting Returning to the centre of the villageIt is interesting to note that where we took our stand once stood a saw pit surrounded by chestnut trees and the Pinfold. All have disappeared, although some of the brickwork of the latter may be found in the wall of the bridge.Bishop Wiltons Charming Wold Scenery in The Hull Times, August 4, 1923.BULLETIN 4 51'