b'in the Aisle together with his scholars 4 . About 48 orSir William Hilliard together with his wife on Sunday 50 years ago Thomas Sotheby built a stall or pew30th did violently thrust and throng in the said pew in the West side of this Aisle, with the consent ofor aisle against the liking or comfort of Hugh Bethell William Herbert who was then the tenant of Belthorpe,to deprive him of his sitting to the great disgust and during the 3 or 4 years when he was absent livingdisturbance of Hugh Bethell, his wife and family, who with his brother in Overton and therefore not makingshut the doors of the pew to try to keep the intruders use of the Aisle. Thomas Sotheby continued to useout.it, with permission, until his death in about 1597,A succession of people (all honest and credible while William Herbert sat mostly in the body of thepersons of good wealth and discretion, not tainted church, or sometimes in the Aisle. Following Thomasof any notorious crime) were interviewed about Sothebys death, his son also called Thomas, wishedtheir knowledge of the matter, including Edward to reclaim the wood that had been used to build theLowthorpe, the vicar of Bishop Wilton, Thomas Smith stall or closet in the Aisle, and sought permission ofof Garrowby, William Mickelfield of Bolton, William the Lords of the Manor of Belthorpe either to removeRichardson of Great Givendale, Edward Maddisson the stall or to receive something in consideration. of Bolton, Leonard Sotheby, Robert Bossall, Margaret After William Herbert died, his son AlexanderLampton, William Goodyear, John Gillyot, John Herbert took over the tenancy of Belthorpe, andRussell and John Robson all of Bishop Wilton. They therefore the possession of the Aisle, with its 10 seats,were all in agreement about the case, with only slight and quietly occupied it with no trouble 5 . After hisvariations in their memories of dates. Significantly they death, Ralph Lampton married his widow and tookalso stated that Sir William Hildyard had little or no over Belthorpe, and also the right to the Aisle, until heland nor any dwelling house in the parish of Bishop left the parish of Bishop Wilton at the end of 1611. AllWilton, only 16 oxgangs of Glebe Land, whereas 3 were tenants of Sir Hugh Bethell. William HerbertHugh Bethell owned land to the value of 500 pounds and his wife, Alexander Herbert and 3 of his childrenor thereabouts.who died at Belthorpe are all buried in that Aisle. As to the outcome of the Dispute, I have been In the two and half years since the death of Sirunable to find a final judgement. But history would Hugh Bethell of Ellerton, Mr Hugh Bethell became thelead us to believe that the Hildyards eventually owner of the lands and grounds of Belthorpe, and hetriumphed over the Bethells in the village hierarchy, and his wife and family has sitten, knelt and heardwhatever the legal decision.Divine Service in the pew without disturbance. But 4His name is given only as Sir John ; obviously his surname had been forgotten over the interveninggenerations, but there is no John at the appropriate period on the list of Vicars in the Church.5We know that Alexander Herbert was tenant at Belthorpe in 1590 from the Kirby Underdale Terrierquoted in Shepherds History of Kirby Underdale, 1932, p63.Belthorpe DerivationKate & Mike PrattI f we start with the current name of Belthorpe weBelgr seems reasonable (Belgr being an Old Norse might be forgiven for assuming a derivation basedname, literally meaning a bag).on bell, a dialect term for a hill, evidently 1 . With HighBut things get more complicated when taking Belthorpe, on visibly raised ground and the focus foraccount of the Domesday entry which is for the area, what could be simpler and more obvious? Balchethorp! Using this as a starting point, another But things are more complicated than that. Stayingauthority 2says that Belthorpe receives its name from with the same place-name authority, two distincta personal name, Balk. But, finally, a third authority 3precursors are identified, the first elements of whichdismissess this as unlikely and sides with the Belgr are Belker (with specific references identified for 1205origin and offers another literal meaning of bellows, and 1240) and Belger (1242 and 1246). Assumingetc.that this authoritys references are correct, then his conclusion that the derivation is from the thorp of 1Eilert Ekwall, The Concise Oxford English Dictionary of English Place-Names, Oxford at theClarendon Press, 1964.2John Nicholson, Place Names of the East Riding of Yorkshire, A. Brown & Sons, 1926.3A. H. Smith, The Place-Names of the East Riding of Yorkshire, Cambridge U.P., Cambridge, 1937.342 BULLETIN 17'