b'CorrectionRelating to the Holderness and Dales Families: Mike PrattI t would appear that information provided in Bulletinleft the country; Levi Dales took possession of the 17 under the title of The Fawcetts of Bolton needsChestnuts in 1892; Levi remained in possession up to correcting.the date of his death on 22 March 1919.With respect to the last paragraph: although itThe way these facts are strung together in the was indeed William Holderness who went bankruptdocument consulted generates some confusion as it in 1890, he was the son of Elizabeth and it wasmakes it seem that Henry and Eliza Holderness left actually her other son, Henry, who married Levi Dalesthe country just prior to 1892. But that cannot be the sister, also called Elizabeth (or Eliza). In the 1871case as genealogical research 2shows that Henry died census both Elizabeth Holderness and William arein South Africa in 1887. So there must have been two living under the same roof with Elizabeth as the headinstances of financial trouble in the Holderness family, of the household employing three men and a boy.one involving Henry and the other involving William, Henry Holderness and Eliza are shown in a separatehis brother. Although Williams bankruptcy in 1890 dwelling. William is described as an Iron Foundryseems to be related to Levi taking over residence of Implement Maker and Henry as a Machinist. the Chestnuts it is more likely to be the fact that his A document produced as a result of Levi Dalessister in South Africa, Eliza, having married a second death 1gives us 4 facts: Henry Holderness mortgagedtime after Henrys death, gave Levi power of attorney the Chestnuts property; Henry became insolvent andover her affairs.1This and other documents relating to both the Holderness and the Dales families are in the possessionof Mr & Mrs Swaine, the current owners of the Chestnuts. They allowed us to consult these documents.2With thanks to Mary Anne Gourley for this. An article by her about The Dales Family appears in Bulletin12.Main Street, Bishop Wilton, c1890sThis image was copied by Andrew Sefton from an original when there was an exhibition in the village in 1978. Unfortunately no record was kept of who contributed what and the current whereabouts of the original is unknown. The single most interesting feature is a dwelling that does not now exist. Follow the line of houses on the left; between what is now Nos 16 and 17 to 19 there is a single storey building. The date of the photograph is definitely pre-1900 as there is no sign of street lighting and the dwelling is shown on the 1892 OS map. It is unclear whether the original was a postcard or a one-off photograph. There is no textual identification on the image as there normally would have been on a postcard of this era.344 BULLETIN 18'