b'place where we have evidence of a possible formerof the backs without it. There might be a clue in the layout. We can reasonably speculate that existingEnclosure Plan of 1772 where a plot of land bordering boundaries round the Church, Manor House and thethe bend but outside the rectangle is shown as having neighbouring plots (i.e. marked as 1, 2 and 3 on thebeen enclosed prior to this date. The upshot being diagram above) were maintained - most likely becausethat the back lane had to wend its way between two they skirted demesne land that belonged to the lordplots whose ownership was already established.of the manor. For other plots it was sufficient to draw out the rectangle and allot or adjust plots, on whateverPrior to Re-planningbasis, within the available space. Are there any other pointers to what the layout was Although this is a reasonable explanation for thelike prior to the re-planning of the village?Yes, there bulge it does not fully explain the double right-angleare. But things become more speculative and they will bend. It would have been possible to resume the linebe covered in Part 2 of this article in a future Bulletin.Dwellinghouse for SaleExtracts from Howdenshire Chronicle and Pocklington Weekly News for June, 1908T o be Sold by Auction, by Messrs. R. M. EnglishFor leave to view application may be made to the & Son at the Feathers Hotel, Pocklington, onTenant, and for further particulars to Mr. George Fryer, Monday, 15th June, 1908 . All that Messuage37, George Street, Hull or Crust, Todd, Mills, & Sons, or Dwellinghouse called Rose Villa, with Stable,Solicitors, Beverley.Carriage House, Vinery, Small Lawn, Garden, Orchard,Another entry reported the outcome of the Drying ground and Paddock adjoining, situate atauction:Bishop Wilton, and now in the occupation of MrsBidding was very slow indeed, and starting at a Chatt. The site contains an area of 1a. 0r. 20p. orlow figure, was withdrawn at 350.thereabouts. Observations: Rose Villa is No. 87; George The Villa, comprises 8 rooms, Cellar, Scullery, &c.Fryer was a former master at Bishop Wilton Village There is a good supply of hard and soft water on theSchool and later occupant at Rose Villa; the soft premises. water mentioned would probably have been from The property is Copyhold of the manor ofa purpose-built underground rain water collection Bishop Wilton, and is distant about 4 miles from thecistern and the hard water from a well; copyhold is Pocklington Railway Station. explained in Bulletin 14.Wilton Matilda 1908More about this photograph, supplied by Lily Jebson, in Bulletin 16.BULLETIN 15 285'