b'North, Christopher Estofte of Bishop Burton. He alsoRalph Hansby of Bishop Burton and Tickhill had possessed the pre-Reformation church propertyissue of a daughter Isabella who was sole heiress in Bishop Burton. He took a 30-year lease on theto his estate. She married William Hildyard who was Bishops Manor property, which was to run from 1579.knighted in 1603 and who died in 1632. They lived Christopher Estofte was Custos Rotulorum of the Eastin the Treasurers manor house near the church and Riding and Feodary of the West Riding and joinedbecame the first lords of Bishop Wilton manor to the council in 1558, but died in 1568 19 . In 1570 hisreside in the parish.widow Lady Elizabeth Ellerker gave, along with otherThis marriage re-united the two manors and property, to Ralph Hansby of Bishop Burton all theBishop Wilton became again a single manor, as it was property and income by lease mentioned above. 20 in Saxon times.19The Kings Council in the North by R.R. Reid. 1921. P.186.20West Yorkshire ArchivesWYL230/3451,3453,3461,3462,3463The Prebend of WiltonYork Minster Archivist, via Father James FinnemoreW ilton in the East Riding, now known as Bishopcathedral, as well as bread, wax, rushes etc, the Wilton, was held as a manor by Archbishopaverage annual expenditure of some 80 in the Middle Aldred before the Conquest and was listed in 1086Ages still left a generous portion of the 233 6s 8d as part of the estates of the Archbishop Thomas ofthat the post was worth in the Valor Ecclesiasticus of Bayeux. Its value had dropped from 14 to 4 and1291.included waste, but it had a church and a priest andArchbishop Greys pious hope that the Treasurer land for 18 ploughs. would be resident did not come to fruition until Originally part of the prebendal estates ofthe latter part of the fourteenth century, when the Sherburn, created in the late eleventh or earlyarchbishops were able to use the post as a reward twelfth century, Wilton was created as a separatefor the heads of their administration, in particular their prebend in 1242 by Archbishop Walter Grey toVicars-General. Prior to that, appointments to the post further recompense the Treasurers post for thefrom the 1250s onwards were fraught with disputes loss of the endowment that the separation from theof unfathomable complexity to quote Dobson, as Archdeaconry of the East Riding from the post ofkings and popes sought to secure the prize for their Treasurer in 1218 had caused. Along with Newthorpe,favourites or relatives, notably the notorious Bogo de its history is inseparable from that of the Treasurership. Clare, Amaury de Montfort and Pietro Colonna.The income from Wilton consisted of theThe prebend of Wilton was surrendered to the tithes from lands in Wilton and its hamlets, suchCrown on 26th May 1547 along with all the other as Youlthorpe, Bolton and Gowthorpe, as wellappurtenances of the Treasurers post. The post itself as jurisdiction over the whole village and lands inwas then dissolved, on account of there being no Langtoft. In 1291 this was valued at 33 6s 8d, buttreasure left to keep, but the harsh reality was almost by 1535 was not listed separately from the generalcertainly that the income, given as 220 per annum (considerable) income of the Treasurer. It alone wouldin 1535, was the goal and the dissolution more of have provided a reasonably comfortable prebendala formality that prevented any reclamation of the living, but was a relatively small part of the Treasurersrevenues. The prebendal title was recreated in April holdings, and the rectorial duties and estates were2000.farmed out by the absentee prebendaries. [The seat assigned to the current Prebendary of Although the lowliest of the four dignitaries, theWilton can be seen in the Chapter House of York post of Treasurer was a fabulously rich appointment,Minster (at least, it could in 2003). The Chapter House second only to that of the Dean, and much soughtis the meeting place of the Dean and Chapter, the after. Responsible for much of the cost of supplyinggoverning body of the Minster.]and maintaining the treasure and ornaments of the Everyday Life in Victorian TimesFrom the Historical Factsheets produced by Bill Chandler in the 1980s, based on the memories of Herbert Knowlson.There were six shops in the village that soldCullam and George Adamson. You could buy a sweets and a small amount of groceriesFred Tutil,pennyworth of dates from a big block on Cullams Willie Cook, Bob Adamson, John Harrison, Charliecounter. They were 4d a pound in those days.BULLETIN 11 183'