b'23 May 1865John Craggs [aged 10] has gone to17 July 1866George Brown staying at home for a Sutton this afternoon to bring a donkey and cart. week to amuse his cousin who has come from Leeds 16 April 1866Mark Headley is helping Lol Cradockfor a few days.to lead old thatch from an old building. There are many other topics that can be covered And finally, it is good to know that it is not all work forby delving into the invaluable Log Books, such as the lads: educational changes in the curriculum, the differing 28 November 1864Some children are at homepersonalities of the Masters as reflected in their because their brothers and sisters have not returnedattitudes to discipline and homework, their struggles to servicesome because the foxhounds are in theagainst the weather and to improve the facilities of neighbourhood and some because the servants arethe school. Surprisingly, there is still a mystery over to have a tea party this afternoon given by Miss Sykesthe date that the new school was built, and it would after which a magic lantern will be exhibited in thebe good to be able to put a date to the old school school rooms. building. These are issues which will be tackled in 21 December 1864 Many children still patronize thefuture articles.old custom of begging Frumenty on St Thomas Day,The three School Log Books (1863-1888, which being today causes many absenceswho1888-1921, 1922-1958) along with an Admissions are ranging the Wolds from one solitary farmsteadRegister (1910-1951) were deposited with the East to another notwithstanding the inclemency of theRiding Archive, Beverley, on 1st September 2007 weather. (Accession No. 5274) by Alison Halley.Official Palace Site ArchaeologyMike PrattT he site of the Archbishops Palace at Bishop1. In 2003Wilton has received very little official archaeologicalA watching brief was undertaken by Humber Field attention. The two minor excavations that we knowArchaeology. Three telegraph poles were removed about are summarised below: and replaced and a small trench was dug next to one 1. In 1993 of the poles. The finds were: fragments of ceramic Hand-excavation of a cable trenchacrossflat roof tile from one post hole dating to between part of the northern sideon behalf of Yorkshirethe 12th and 18th centuries; deposits resulting from Electricity PLC for which, in summary, the mainerosion of the bank of the fishpond (possibly caused outcome was discovery of the stone foundationsby rabbits), comprising two fragments of stone of a buildingon top of the moat platform. Theseroof tile and one large fragment of plain ridge tile of foundations were made up of a structure of chalk andJurassic Limestone, all c1200.limestone. [From An archaeological watching Also, at a depth of less than a metre, on the insidebrief at Bishop Wilton by Humber Field edge of the moat, sherds of Roman greyware and aArchaeology. Report No. 606. SMR No. 16th century jar or skillet were recovered.HU19764] It is worth noting that the relevant section of theThe foundations discovered in 1993 coincide with moat [across which a trench was cut] had alreadya structure that is visible on aerial photographs and been breached at an unknown date in the post- thought by us to be a building which is illustrated on medieval period by a causeway leading onto the moatAndrew Boyces conjectural plan [The Layout of the platform. Archbishops Palace SitePart 2 by Andrew Boyce, Further inside the site, coarse sandy ware of theLocal History Bulletin 14].late 13th or early 14th century was recovered. The presence of pottery from the Roman period [FromAn Archaeological Excavation at The(i.e. greyware) is of interest but in view of the fact that Archbishops Palace, Bishop Wilton, 1993 byit comes from the line of a post-medieval causeway Humberside Archaeology Ref: hqDA 690 B613and it was found with medieval pottery suggests C9] that it could have been introduced with infill that came from elsewhere. Also, it is not the only Roman greyware to be found within the village.The excavations do not tell us any more than we had already deduced but at least the coarse sandy ware pottery found in 1993 and the stone roof and ridge tile found in 2003 date from the period we believe the site was in use.304 BULLETIN 16'