b'was engaged in a dispute with two people, a Mrsto the Minister. They also awarded him costs, charging Dixon, the appropriator ofthe tithes of Bolton,Mrs Dixon to pay 1-14-6 towards the expenses of and Richard Jibson, who farmed the great tithesthe dispute and arbitration. Rev Dealtary was fortunate there. As was outlined in the last Bulletin, the greatin this case that the matter could be finalised by local tithes normally went to the Crown, but following thearbitration and that the costs were relatively low, as Dissolution of the Monasteries could have been soldoften these disputes dragged on for years; and he to a layman, usually termed the Impropriator. It waslived on for another 36 years, to enjoy the fruits of more usual to have a lay Impropriator in Yorkshire thanhis successful challenge. He had had the advantage in any other part of the country. of local knowledge as he had taken over the parish Reverend Dealtary was disputing who shouldfrom his father, William Dealtary, who had been Vicar receive the tithe from a field called the Upper Bellasof Bishop Wilton between 1715 and 1741, as well as formerly known by the name of Pall Garth. SuchVicar of Skirbenbeck. John Dealtary matriculated at disputes could only be settled by reference to theCambridge from Jesus College in 1726 and graduated custom of the Parish, since each community was soa BA in 1730. He was a curate at Skirpenbeck under individual. So he did some research and was veryhis father, curate at Kirby Underdale between 1735-excited to find a copy of the original Endowment of1740 under Robert Fysh, holding the curacy with the the Vicarage to Richard de Wilton in 1311, which setRectory of Skirpenbeck between 1736 and 1774, out the types of tithe that were due, and to whom theysucceeding his father. From 1741 he also became were payable. He copied the document out into theVicar of Bishop Wilton, and was Vicar of Acaster Church Register of the time, in both Latin and English,Malbis and Bishopthorpe from 1758. with the following explanation: The system of paying tithes was usually A copy of the endowment of Wilton taken the 9thextinguished by the Act of Enclosure which assigned January 1749/50, in the presence of Richard Darleyland which had formerly been part of the common Esq, Henry Hudson, Yeoman, John Dealtary, Curate,fields to the vicar in lieu of tithes, thus putting an end and many of the tenants of ye Parish of Bishop Wiltonto a source of much local friction.of which there are 3 very Antient copys in the Office of the Dean and Chapter of York, and a translation in MrReferences:Torr all examined by Mr Dealtary. Roger J P Kain & Hugh C Prince: Tithe Surveys for The arbitrators for the dispute were RichardHistorians (2000)Darley Esq, theLord of the Manor, who lived in theCause Papers and Parish Registers held in the Manor House next to the Church, and Henry Hudson,Borthwick Institute, University of Yorkyeoman. They obviously saw enough in the originalW. R. Shepherd: History of Kirby Underdale (1928)endowment to award the whole of the disputed tithe Rabbits and WarrensThis research was done on the strength of a Warrener being mentioned in some of the 14th century manuscripts about Bishop Wilton, although there is no mention of rabbits!There were 3 sorts of warren:An extract from a document relating to Wylton the Right of Free Warren which was granted tofrom 1353 that itemises expenses from 1a landowner, which meant that he could createShepherd 1 Warrenera deer park and also hunt small game on his estate. III made a gift of 10 live rabbits from his park inhare warrens existed before the NormansGuildford. The meat was considered superior to introduced rabbits. One is known to havechicken and sucking pig, though not as good as existed on the South Downs in Surrey, enclosedpeacock or partridge.by a 10 foot high wall, where 200 brace wereWarren enclosures varied greatly in size, from a fed on clover, rape and hay.small field to over a square mile, or even, on the poor Rabbits were first established on off-shoresandy soil of Breckland in Norfolk, to 3000 acres.islands by the late 12 thcentury; by the mid 13 th They were enclosed by wooden palings, stone walls, century there were warrens on the mainland,or walls made of turf cut to blocks of 12 x 18 inches, preferably on a peninsular so that it could bestacked in a double row 6 feet high with gorse or easily isolated by a single wall, for example onthorn stuck in the top. Some had a moat surrounding (a former) Spurn Head. a large bank, but the best situation was a hillside Rabbits were highly regardedin 1325 Henryfacing South or Eastjust as at Bishop Wilton. 254 BULLETIN 14'