b'The Fryers George Fryer lived in Rose Villa (No. 87, now called George Fryer took over as the village schoolmasterWitton House). His first wife was Catherine and his between 1861 and 1863. He gave up the job in 1865second wife was Sarah whom he married between but retained close links with the school as Manager1879 (when Catherine died) and the 1881 census. It then as Secretary to the Managers. He signed the lastwas Sarah who was the owner of the inscribed rolling Inspectors report in 1906. ruler.The ends are removable to reveal a rubber (on the left here) and a pencil (unsharpened, on the right). The pencil had come away from its end and was wedged inside the ruler when this item was first acquired.The lettering along the length of the ruler identifies its owner and her location.The 3 CottagesFrom a photograph supplied by Albert KirbyW e were pleasantly surprised when AnnieMasons Garth during the 1800s this goes some way Gray supplied the photograph we printed into supporting the idea that stone could have beenBulletin 19 of No. 80 Bishop Wilton, one of the rowrecycled from the Palace site.of cottages that used to overlook the school. We hadnt seen any others of the property and we had no reason to believe more would surface.However, Albert Kirby whose bungalow is built on the plot on which the 3 demolished cottages stood has since supplied the photograph on this page of all three cottages just prior to their demolition. No. 80, where Annie Gray lived (see Bulletin 19), is on the right next to the road. It is our understanding that when the houses were numbered, the one on the left became No. 81 and the unnumbered one in the middle was unoccupied and was used as a wash house by the other residents.Owen Robinson acquired all three properties and demolished them in the early 1960s, apparently, making way for Alberts bungalow.Albert and Rosemary Kirby attest to the fact that a lot of stone was found below ground level and it had to be carted away. As it was referred to as BULLETIN 20 399'