b'the corner as mentioned by Mr Lennard and a narrowis alternative access (for the less proper and graceful) road between that corner and the Guide Post (atover 5 iron bars! Obviously a compromise was which spot one remains to this day):reached over this suggestion.At first glance it appears that the dwelling inApart from access to the Church from the main question is labelled Parochial School but a closerstreet there must have been access also from the look at the maps conventions shows that it refers toManor House as there is a footpath shown on the the building directly below the end of the label. This is1892 map from it to the north side of the Church. borne out by the testament of current residents whoseThis is open now with no sign of there having been ancestors went to the school before the one on theanything to climb over. No other points of access are present site was built.obvious.Moving on in time, the OS map of 1892 appearsIt is looking as though Mr Lennards suggestions to support the contention that at least some of Mrwere acted on. So, what about the planting of trees on Lennards advice was acted on: the green banks on either side of the centre stream? The dwelling has gone and the road has beenOnce again the 1892 OS map helps as it shows a line widened at its southern end. At the northern endof trees following the line of the beck, right by its side, the road looks wider but it seems to be taken upat the top end of the village. It is possible also that the by a grass verge (as it is today). Perhaps it was justlilac bushes that existed until after WWII were originally the hedge that was taken back. Evidence for theplanted in response to Mr Lennards suggestions (but planting of trees at this spot in the village in line withthere is no sign of these on the 1892 OS map).Mr Lennards suggestion is inconclusive as both mapsHaving got this far we are left with the one real show the presence of trees.enigma in Mr Lennards letter. Was his suggestion It is interesting to know that access to the Churchfor a fountain or water supply for both the top and when Mr Lennard visited was via openings whichbottom halves of the village acted upon? Firstly, it had 4 or 5 iron bars which had to be climbed overis worth noting that the term fountain was used presumably as a way to keep out animals. It is doublyin the sense of a spring of water issuing from the interesting as the main access to the Church todayearth rather than a jet of water rising into the air, the from the street is via a gate by the side of which therecommon usage today.BULLETIN 5 57'