b'from different social classes. Fewer than 50% of East Riding settlements had both Wesleyan and Primitive Chapels 33 .They were both managing to cover their costs, but obviously numbers were dwindling at the Prims 34 .These two branches of Methodism had in fact united to form the present-day Methodist Church in 1932, but both chapels continued after that date. By 1941 their income was only 2/7/8, and an application to sell off the Primitive Chapel was made and agreed to, with the usual proviso that all inscriptions must be removed prior to the sale, and the premises should not be used for the manufacture or sale or supply or distribution of intoxicating liquors, or as a theatre or dancing hall or music hall.35Methodism has been connected with the Temperance Movement since 1831. It was particularlySurviving plaster work above the Village Shops strong with the Primitives because of their associationfalse ceiling.with the working class, where alcoholism was seen to be more of a problem. Bands of Hope were set up in 1874 by Wesleyan Methodists, and the emphasis of Temperance continued for many years.The Primitive Methodist chapel was bought by the Co-op which was located further down the street nearer the corner, for use as a store. It still had the rostrum and the raised floor (see Malcolm Burgesss memories, p74). The evacuees were received there on arrival from Hull in 1940, for allocation to their host families.Subsequently it became the Co-op in 1950, and later still the Village Shop. Although a false ceiling has been put in, the ornamental plaster ceiling is still there.The Wesleyan (Bethel) chapel was closed in 1974 and sold to Fishers Agricultural Engineers for use as a store. They closed down in 1997, and the chapel was subsequently sold to be converted to a private house.During conversion, the back wall of the Bethel Chapel with the inscription, God is Love, that would have been over the pulpit (still visible as an outline in the wall plaster).Photograph by Mike Pratt.The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel called Bethel as it is today after conversion.Bethel or beth El means House of God.Photograph by Alan Robson.33David & Susan Neave, as above34Summaries, Beverley Archives, Ref: MRP/1/41-4635Consent to Sale, Beverley Archives, Ref: MRP/1/86BULLETIN 11 189'