b'The Old North FieldMike PrattT he diagramof the old North Field above has beenSir Tatton Sykes of Sledmere and a surviving map assembled from three sources: the overall outline,resulting from a Bishop Wilton land survey shows how including the boundary with the West Field, is derivedthe same plot was subdivided after enclosure. It is a from the enclosure plan that accompanies the Bishopwelcome surprise to see that the post-enclosure field Wilton Enclosure Award of 1772 1 ; the field boundariesboundaries are not laid out in straight lines. In many within the shaded area are derived from a Sledmereplaces they clearly display the tell-tale reversed-S Estate land survey dated 1816 2 ; the field names areformation indicating that they follow the ploughing line derived from the OS map of 1854. of the pre-enclosure strips (shown in the subdivisions of the area shaded in grey on the accompanying The Open Field Imprint diagram). In the enclosure award of 1772, Matthew Smith,Another interesting feature is that the old dividing then Lord of the Manor, was allocated 436 acres ofline between the North and the West Fields (marked land consisting of the majority of the old North Fieldon the diagram in white) is closely followed by a series and part of the West Field (the area shaded in grey onof field boundaries that cross the plot from Awnhams the accompanying diagram). The boundaries of theBeck in the north to Bray Gate in the south.allocation are the typical straight runs laid out by theTherefore there are a number of factors which enclosure surveyors. On the enclosure map of 1772suggest that this subdivision of choice as opposed to this extensive plot is not subdivided any further.the enforced enclosure subdivision seen elsewhere By 1816 Matthew Smith had been replaced byapproximates to the layout of the pre-enclosure 1Universityof Hull Brynmor Jones Library: DDKG/2151772, Bishop Wilton Enclosure Plan (2)2Universityof Hull Brynmor Jones Library: DDCV/20/4BULLETIN 13 231'