b'The Early Lords of Bishop Wilton & their Manor House (Part 1)Andrew SeftonH enry VIII knew that, in order for the Tudor line toshe is to be buried in York Minster; and if she dies continue, he needed a son. In order to achieveat Bishop Wilton she is to be buried in the church his aim he changed the religion of England, thethere and a monument to be erected. Amongst her ownership of land, and the course of English historybequests she includes 18 poor women (12 from York for the next 400 years. By doing this he also changedand 6 from Bishop Wilton). Their son William wisely the fortune and destiny of the tiny manor of Bishop(according to his monumental inscription in Bishop Wilton. The subsequent owners of the seized landsWilton church) married the only child and heir of Ralph became the lords of Bishop Wilton manor, and theyHansby of Tickhill, also owner 5 of old Archbishop of had the same problem as Henry. In order for their lineYork lands in Bishop Burton and also Bishop Wilton. to continue and pass ownership to their descendants,William became lord of the manor of Bishop Wilton they needed preferably a son, so their name couldand according to a reference 6 in the Brynmor Jones continue, or a daughter who could marry a son fromLibrary was also handed lands and property in Bishop the local gentry and thus continue succession. Wilton from his father, Recorder of York. However After Henry VIII dissolved the monasteries and tookhe came by his estate, Sir William Hildyard was a ownership of Church lands and assets, Bishop Wiltontrue lord of the manor living in the manor house and manor changed from the protection and stewardshipmaking provision for the poor people of Bishop Wilton, of the Archbishops of York to local landlords madeby setting up the poor lands charity trust in his will rich by the patronage of the crown. From around 1600of 1632 from which the pensioners of the parish still to 1774 the lords of the manor of Bishop Wilton arebenefit today. Also mentioned is a clear reference to known to have lived in the manor or mansion housethe manor house: (as described in some documents) located close tothe manor house or capital messuage the church. There is no documentary evidence so farwherein I now dwell, lands called Lakin discovered that suggests the existence of a manorParke, Halgarthe, the Halffeilde, the Halcliffe, house next to the church prior to 1508, when Martynthe Flatwoode Leazes, the Lodge Garth, the Collins, Treasurer of York Minster, leaves a will 1 whichLow Park, the High Park, the Cow Closse, the has an inventory attached listing the manor houseYowgange;wood called Wilton Woode, all in rooms. They were the Hall, Parlour, Chapel, Study,Wilton. Great Chamber, Second Chamber, Third Chamber,Sir William Hildyard also knew that he had no son Fourth Chamber, Kitchen, Larder, Brewhouse,and heir to carry forward the Hildyard name, so left all Storehouse, Stable and Timber Store. his lands to his daughters. It seems he left the majority The Treasurership of York Minster was dissolvedto his first born Elizabeth who married Richard Darley in April 1547 (just after the death of King Henry) andof Buttercrambe, a third of the manor to Anne who the assets passed to his only son Edward, son ofmarried William Norton of Sawley, and the rest to his Jane Seymour. It seems that the manor was giventhird daughter Miriam who did not marry.to Edward Seymour, Duke of Somerset and brotherThe next lord of the manor to live in the manor of Jane. Some sheep pasture was retained byhouse was Richard Darley who had married Hildyards Archbishop Lee 2 and a 40-year lease was given todaughter Elizabeth on 20th December 1632. This was his brother Geoffry Lee. In 1563 there is a grant 3 tothe start of the Darley dynasty in Bishop Wilton. In the Christopher Estoffe (one of the Council of the North)hearth tax of 1672 Richard Darley was recorded as for 30 years from 1579. The passing of ownershiphaving 12 hearths; this indicates that the manor house of the manor is not clear until the early 1600s whenat this time was indeed impressive. Of the three bells the Hildyard family, from York and Winestead, heldin Bishop Wilton church one bell of 1649 carries his possession. William Hildyard, Recorder of the City ofinitials. The inscription on the Treble reads: Soli Deo York, was a member of the Council of the North, M.P.Gloria et pax hominibus 1649 Mr. R.D. PH - To the for York in 1586, and a member of the committee forGlory of the One God, and the Peace of Mankind, considering whether Mary Queen of Scots should be1649, Mr R.D. PH. At this time Pocklington School brought to trial. His widow Ann in her will4of 1620,had just opened and Richard Darley sent all his sons instructs that if she dies at York or South Duffieldthere (see Darley family tree). 7 1Surtees Soc. 1868 II Testamenta Eboracum Vol. IV p.2772Eboracum the history and antiquities of the city of York by Francis Drake. 1736.3DDGE/3/20 Brynmor Jones Library, Hull4DDSY/4/162The will of Ann HildyardBrynmor Jones Library, Hull.5DDSY/4/145, DDSY/4/159, DDSY/4/9 - Brynmor Jones Library, Hull6DDSY/4/1587YAJ Vol 25, 1920. p.6086 BULLETIN 6'